Thursday 17 May 2007

A bit of a gloomy tail

Maybe its the weather but, in my darkened mood, I parked on the lavender and couldn’t be bothered to move the car. Why so glum? I’ve trays of plants for the allotment but I can’t get them down there. It’s been raining for days.. I’m working too much. I go months with not a hint of work then everybody is on the phone at once. Then there has been the slaughter in the garden and the cat’s smirking again.

I guess it’s all part of the perils of owning a cat, but why did it have to do that to the baby great tit and I can hear the blackbird alarm calling again. Our previous cat lived in permanent comfy middle age, always asleep in the garden or on the sofa; this garden tiger is a marauder.

I’ve told sad tales of mice under the sofa and shocked magpies smashing up my daffodils in the kitchen (alas all on the other blog site that shall not be named) but this morning I was greeted by half a fancy goldfish, the tail end. Should I confess to my neighbour or keep quiet and let him think it’s the heron again. (Answers on a postcard please.)

I know it’s not only cats that do bad things. Yesterday I met Jack, a hamster eating terrier. The hamster was on holiday at a friends house. Never assume that those jolly little plastic balls, designed to exercise a hamster, are doggy proof. Any canny dog can whiz the ball along with one foot, then decant a dizzy hamster and, wham, no more hamster.

What’s the real reason for me being gloomy? Another birthday looms. Not a significant one, but aren’t they all significant once your past the first flush of middle age.

8 comments:

countrymousie said...

Oh Toady - I am older than you I think - loved your gloomy blog - life is gloomy sometimes isnt it - bloody gloomy and rainy here today so stuck indoors again and cleaning our cupboards and drawers - sad or what.
Cheer up old girl - we have to save for that trip to Sallys!!I may have to get some real enhancements by then!!

countrymousie said...

Christ almighty I have called you Toady - so sorry - I have indeed lost the plot

Suffolkmum said...

I have a tiger for a cat too - she is a menace to the local wildlife population. I know it's her nature, but it still makes me cross. Sorry you're feeling glum ...

Un Peu Loufoque said...

If it helps I got up at 6 am to find the combined house cats had pushed the pressure cooker with 7 litres of home made chicken and Veggie soup of the range and covered the floor with it so I had to wash rugs and floor at crack of dawn on my one lie in day for weeks!! Hurumph but hey ho such is life!!

bodran... said...

My fat slapper of a dog found a nest today and devoured the contents while mum and dad bluetits watched...animals are so cruel..ohhh nooo not a loooming birthday xxo

Eden said...

Don't confess to the neighbour -- who ever counts their goldfish? Or do I just say that because I can so easily imagine my killer cat doing the same as yours?

Pondside said...

Oh dear - our pets - sometimes they are trial as well as pleasure. I came home an hour ago and opened the door to an overwhelming smell of outhouse. Rosie had pooed (first time ever) upstairs on the carpet. I have a fan going and all windows open, but it still stinks.
Re the birthday...yesterday I spoke with an Actuary who told me that actuarial tables are now being made for 120 year lifespans. That makes us just approaching middle age!...or I should say, it makes me not yet middle aged - you are probably much younger.
Thanks for the urine and hair tip. I'll ask my hairdresser for hair and get the Great Dane busy around the plants!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

We are the receptacle for rescued moggies and currently have seven residents who relentlessly cover the floor with baby rabbits a mole or three, squirrels. pigeons, birds of every size and hue, mice, rats, voles....do not walk barefoot through my dreams? - no - put shoes on in the kitchen in the dark!