Sunday 27 May 2007

Purple prose

I hope I’m not being too swotty but several people expressed an interest in a purple reading group. I can see some enormous advantages for me. Firstly I won’t have to drive home after having a measly fruit juice while my bus riding friends have been knocking back the red and white. Secondly I won’t have to drive home late at night and, with my eye sight problems that will be a help. Specs like the bottom of wine glasses loom on the horizon. (Well they would if I could actually see the horizon any more.)

Next, other readers won’t get lost trying to find my house in the dark. I live 20 mins from a coastal town and the village is well signposted, but my town dwelling friends go to pieces once beyond the security of street lamps. In my regular reading group the person who chooses the book also hosts the evening. The last time it was my turn three friends turned up 30 mns early, afraid they might get lost. The majority came late because they did get lost. And two intrepid travellers, driving a 4x4, didn’t turn up at all. They set out together and headed for a similar sounding place in East Sussex not West Sussex, only realising they’d gone wrong when they’d driven more than twenty miles totally in the wrong direction.

What book were we reading? In to the Wild by John Krakauer of course!

Is anyone interested in forming a group? If so, add a suggested title and author in the comment box and I’ll list them on the main page. A vote could be taken on the most popular title and off we go. Any takers?

8 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Providing you allow enough time lapse between books so I can get tehm in Englsih count me in. ps I can not find a list on teh main page am I being daft or have you not posted it yet... I notice a posting from you called purple prose is in draft on teh edit page though..

Anonymous said...

i would like to join i enjoy reading and share my views on books jep x

Norma Murray said...

I haven't posted the list on the main page yet. I'll give folks a little time to think about some book titles to suggest first. I think the edit page was me ttrying to correct my typing errors. i'm not very tekky and bits end up all over the place

Milkmaid said...

I'd love to, if only to get my away from the mind numbing books I get handed down from my mother, I'm time poor on reading so it takes me ages to get through them, mind you I no longer read CL- like that took a lot of time

Cait O'Connor said...

I would like to join. Where is the list?
Caitx

bradan said...

I would like to join too.

Pondside said...

...that was the other thing. No one wanted to drive 'way out' here in the dark or in the rain - which meant most of the winter. I was always picking people up because I lived the greatest distance out.

Pondside said...

Well - my post above doesn't make sense, because I had written an earlier one and this was an add-on! I guess it's somewhere out in the ether.
I wanted to say that I belonged to a bookclub at a time when I wanted to meet people. Big mistake! The first year it was all about summer reading types of books....I could handle that and stayed on. The second year it was religious books...I wasn't too happy, but thought things would surely get better. Nope. The third year was all about self-help Wayne Dyer types of books. Good bye book club - but I missed some of the conversation.