Wednesday 30 May 2007

Purple Prose - make your final choice

I have managed to whittle the Purple Prose book list down to a final 5.

I’ve tried to be fair, so lots of apologies if your favourite book didn’t make the final list. I used a points system to choose - well it’s a wet day and I’ve time on my hands.

3 points 1st choice

2 points 2nd choice

1 point No preference mentioned and/or the book was on the original list.

Please make your final choice in the comment box:

English Passenger by Matthew Kneale ( A wryly humorous seafaring yarn set around an 1857 voyage to Tasmania.)

Diary of an Ordinary Woman by Margaret Forster ( A series of fictional journals recording a woman’s inner life and 20c events.)

Time travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (She meets the love of her life when she is 6 and he’s 36, but he’s only really 8 years older than her. It’s not really science fiction, it’s more about two people coping with a situation beyond their control

Redemption Falls by Joseph O’Connor (This explores the enigma of life through a love story and tale of war in 1860s America.)

Unless by Carol Shields (This is about a woman who’s comfortable life is in turmoil when she finds her daughter is sitting on a Toronto street corner with a begging bowl in her lap.)

I feel I want to read them all but that isn’t possible. Please vote and the one with the most votes can be the current Purple prose book of the month.

20 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

Final choice is Unless Carol Shields
2nd choice Diary of an Ordinary Woman
3rd choice Redemption Falls
Caitx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Dairy of an ordinary woman

Oh heck I can't remeber the others

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

2nd - Time travellers wife

3rd - Unless Carol Shields

countrymousie said...

1. Unless
2. Redemption
3. Diary of an ordinary woman
mousie xx

mountainear said...

1. Time Travellers Wife
2. Unless

Anonymous said...

dairy of ordinary woman 2nd time travellers wife x jep

Sally Townsend said...

I love Carol Shields. Unless gets my vote.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Time travllers wife other than that no preference

Milla said...

Unless is one of the worst books I have ever read. A load of *ollocks about a scarf as I recall and horribly timid and irritating although I sort of tolerated something else of hers, possibly the Stone Diaries, although now I come to think of it they might have made me twitch with boredom, too! Oh dear.
Against my better judgement I really enjoyed Time T's Wife and thought she carried off the "conceit" impressively well.
Haven't read that Marg F but have loved her other stuff, pithy, albeit "small canvas"
Liked Eng Passengers, but with reservations. Floundered a bit and rambled but overall worth a quick read.
Haven't yet read any of brother of the more famous Sinead.
Points, er, how do I vote when I've only read three of them??
Sorry to be thick / unhelpful, computer failing, boys on half term, builders shovelling me an early grave, might have missed something vital here!

Suffolkmum said...

1st choice English Passenger,
2nd Redemption Falls
(Have to disagree with Milla (sorry) - loved Unless, loathed Time Traveller's Wife!)

bradan said...

1.Time Traveller's Wife
2.Diary of an Ordinary Woman
3.Unless

Faith said...

I vote to read Diary of an Ordinary Woman. Otherwise I dont mind.... oh maybe Time Travellers Wife one.

Withy Brook said...

Diary of an Ordinary Woman, please

Exmoorjane said...

1. Redemption
2. Diary of an Ordinary Woman

jx

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Diary of an ordinary woman (1st) Redemption falls (2)

Milkmaid said...

Dairy of an Ordinary Woman
Unless
English Passenger

Cait O'Connor said...

Nothing to do with the vote but do you know who recommended Findings by Kathleen Jamie? I want to thank them. She is a great poet and the book looks good, I have just looked it up on Amazon.

annakarenin said...

Redemption falls gets my vote as I haven't read it.
Of those I have read
English Passenger I liked the best
Unless was some time ago so would probably benifit from re-read.
Ordinary Women was okay, enjoyed TT wife.

Pondside said...

1) Redemption Falls
2) Unless
3) TT's Wife

Sorry to be so late but just came in from work. I'll basically read anything.

Pondside said...

Hi again - many thanks for your comments and support- interestin to hear that you also used visualisation to help heal. I'm so glad that is was a good thing for you too.